Rapid Response button
Left it too late?
Need something organised now?
Email us for a response within
the hour - Just hit the
rapid response button
on any page

The Slaughters

The pretty villages of Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter are about a mile apart. Their names come from the old name for a stream or "Slough", rather than referring to any great massacres.

Upper Slaughter is the less touched by tourism. It has an open square, bordered by cottages that were re-modeled in 1906 in keeping with Cotswold style. Little bridges, wild flowers and serenity point up perhaps what the visitor imagines the ideal village to be like.

Lower Slaughter, is as the name implies, downstream of Upper Slaughter, and the river is a feature of the village as it flows between neatly mown grass banks. The red brick built corn mill, with its tall chimney and water wheel, contrast with the rest of the village, and its traditional Cotswold stone cottages